Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 5, 6/2/11

I've spent the last couple of days looking through my cookbooks, doing a little bit of studying and research and I finally decided what I wanted to make first.  So, I purchased everything I needed to make this cold Creamy Pinto Bean Puree soup that I thought sounded delicious.  I gave it a whirl tonight, and I was right- SO good!  It's pictured below.  It's basically canned pinto beans, canned tomatoes, plain yogurt, cilantro and chili powder.  I was also going to have cheese tostadas with it, but the soup was so good, I filled up on it and didn't bother with the tostadas.

The cookbook that I'm loving, and it's the one that I found this Creamy Pinto Bean Puree recipe in, is The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas.  I love 4 or 5 ingredient cookbooks!  They provide you the template for a recipe and then you can modify according to your tastes.  BRILLIANT!!  Although I never make any of these recipes with only 4 or 5 ingredients, I only added 3 items to the bean puree tonight (a jalapeño, half of a small onion and some cumin.)  Well, the garnish was crushed tortilla chips, scallions, and a little shredded cheese, so I guess it was really 6 added ingredients...  You can check out Nava Atlas' site at http://www.vegkitchen.com/

I'm calling tonight's meal (and tomorrow's lunch) a great success!

2 comments:

  1. Wanting this recipe alot! -EPV

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cans of tomatoes (1 that's Rotel and 1 that's stewed Mex style tomatoes)
    1 cup of plain yogurt
    1 cup water
    1 jalapeño seeded
    1/2 of a small onion (and this was almost too much)
    1/4 fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin

    Blend it all together in the blender and you're done.

    ReplyDelete