Thursday, June 2, 2011

The reason

So, I've decided to become vegetarian for the summer.  Well, that's my plan for now, but I may extend it.  I know the average meat-loving midwesterner will ask, "Why?"  Here's why:

1.  It's summer and I need something to keep me busy.  I usually spend my summer vacay obsessing about food anyway, now I can do it in a different way.  I love to cook, it's one of my favorite hobbies and I picked up a couple of great cookbooks to help me get started.  Oh, I LOVE cookbooks.  I can look at them for hours!

2.  I've said many times over the years that I thought that I could probably be a vegetarian pretty easily.  My dad has gout (an inflammation of joints caused by uric acid) and it's aggravated by meat consumption, so growing up, our meals were often just a variety of side dishes that didn't contain any meat.  So eating vegetarian, daily, doesn't seem like it will be that much of a stretch for me. 
     Plus, I really like vegetables, and I never met a fruit I didn't like.  Well, I'm gonna have to take that one back, I HATE pears!  I just can't take the texture of them.  Yuck!
     In addition, meat, particularly raw meat, on a bone, just kinda grosses me out.  It's appearance reminds me of the animal that it once was, and being an animal lover, that's hard for me...  Don't get me wrong, I love a big juicy steak, but I think I'm gonna be okay without it.

3.  I do feel like I need to make some changes in my overall health.  And lately, I just don't feel very well after I've eaten a bunch of meat.  That makes me wonder if my body is trying to tell me something.  I've decided to listen.

4.  It's a learning process and a challenge.  I have achieved most of the goals that I've been working toward for the last several years, and this is something new to work on.  Eating vegetarian at home should be easy, but what do I order in a restaurant??  I'm excited to find out and learn so much more about a passion that I already have, food!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Amy!!! Perhaps you could share some recipes? Particularly the pureed pinto bean soup...I'll enjoy reading your blog this summer!

    ReplyDelete